Carrying out regular periodic checks (at intervals predetermined by the manufacturer) is vital for ensuring the equipment’s efficiency and durability and the user’s safety. Carrying out periodical controls doesn’t relieve the user nor from the obligation to perform the controls before and after each use, neither to require an extraordinary periodic check, in case an outstanding event occurs (ex. a fall, even from a low height, a change of user etc.), or in case of doubts about the correct functioning of the device. Attention! The examiner, after carrying out the periodical check, has the responsibility of the good functioning of a PPE. The check must br performed with the highest accuracy, without haste and after completing all the necessary steps: this is the only way to avoid useless risks.
The regular periodic checks must be carried out:
• every 12 months, with normal/standard use;
• every 6 months in the case of intense use or in aggressive environments (ex. marine environment);
• in case an anomaly has been found during the checks before and after each use;
• every time there is a change of user;
• filling in the sheet for the periodic check stated on the user’s instructions, or the one included in the present manual;
• only by the manufacturer or by a skilled person authorized by the manufacturer.
The sheet for the periodic check must be completed:
• following the instructions as described in the specific checking procedure of each device (check for latest updates on the site ppe.climbingtechnology.com);
• consulting the photographs at the end of each procedure;
• consulting the instructions for using the device, if necessary downloading them from: www.climbingtechnology.com;
• examining the device in a suitable well-lit and tidy workshop.
The annul sheet for the periodic check is composed by a check list where the output of the ispection must be indicated, for each stage of the procedure:
The device is in a good condition and it can be use safely.
TO BE DISCARDED
presents averaga / serious damages which jeopardize its primary functionalities and consequently must be removed from service. Indicate the detected damages in the box “NOTE”.
TO BE CHECKED
The device presents one or more small damages that don’t jeopardize its primary functionalities. Indicate the detected damages in the box “NOTES”.
REQUEST OF REPLACEMENT
It is found out that one replaceable part of the device is damaged or missing: indicate the anomaly in the box “NOTES”. At the end of the check, in case no other damages have been detected, if the replacement is carried out, il dispositivo potrà essere declared suitable, otherwise it will be removed from service. If not differently indicated, the replacement can be only performed by the manufacturer, by a technician trained by the manufacturer or by a competent person authorized by the manufacturer. The replaceable parts of each device, if present, are listed in the relevant checking procedure and indicated with their proper purchase code.
• Each device can be composed both by primary elements (having structural / safety functions) and by secondary elements (having accessory functions): upon examiner’s discretion, the damages existing on secondary elements could have less importance in causing the unsuitability of the device. The primary and secondary parts of each PPE are listed in the relevant checking procedure.
• The information on the model, code, serial number, year of manufacture and applicable norm/standard(s) can be found on the device in the position shown in the instructions for use.
• The service life of the device is indicated in the instructions for use which must be attached to the periodic check sheet.
• Prior to the check the device should be adequately cleaned as described in the instructions for use. A dirty device can be declared unfit for use because it cannot be inspected properly
At the end of the checking procedure the device can be declares: FIT FOR
USE, UNFIT FOR USE, TO BE CHECKED / TO KEEP CONTROLLED. In this last case, the slight defects, to which must be paid attention during the checks before and after use, shall be indicated in the notes. The examiner can decide, at its discretion, to schedule the successive periodical control of the device within a shorter lapse of time than the forecasted 12 or 6 months.